Gouda - Montfoort

Just a little more Gouda. Coincidentally this morning our friends John & Bets Ansing emailed this nice picture of our meeting on Saturday 21st August. Another great memory!

Video + photos, made of our journey from Gouda to Montfoort.

Finally Gouda was left on Friday the 27th of August at 11:45AM, accompanied by our daughter Sascha, her eldest son Sean and the latter’s girlfriend Lisa. We’ve got already a Lisa in our family, namely our son Maarten’s wife. So inevitably we will be confronted with confusion of tongues in the future (which one do you mean??). Anyway our daughter created a nice video, using the not-for-free app ‘Relive’. We just hope the link works.

relive.cc/view/vLqe4eAMmd6

Just before arriving at the intended spot in Montfoort we had to pass this old swing bridge. It’s a miracle that this paintless, partly rusty, bridge still works perfectly – without delay whatsoever. One of former Montfoort’s town gates is visible in the background. To our surprise passenger cars are still allowed to cross the bridge (but not to pass under the gate).

  • Moored in Montfoort (I)

    We’re moored here at 3:18PM on the (dammed) river Hollandsche IJssel, in front of the chique mansion ‘Over IJssel’ on the opposite site. The...

  • Moored in Montfoort (II)

    ...second picture depicts the same place, in this case as seen from the front with Montfoort in the background. Here our little ship seems much shorter!

Every province in The Netherlands has got its own flag. (Perhaps every province, département or county abroad too. We always wave the national flag when abroad.) Anyway, the place at the top right of the mast is the most important (we learned), so that's the place for the flag of the visited province - in this case Utrecht, which has the same name as its capital. And now pay attention! In Friesland you can see a pennant of the Frisian flag in every other garden. This is in contrast to Utrecht. But see, caught in one picture: a Utrecht flag (on our little boat) and a pennant in front of the mansion on the other side.

‘Just an old picture. The VVV placed this sign diagonally opposite the mill in 1956. The park was not there then, the orchards were private property and a bicycle ban was in effect on the Bospad (forest path). So turn left into the old town, past the petrol pump. The sign was intended to promote foreign traffic to 'het stedeke' (the little town). On May 20, 2021, an older couple from Friesland came to visit the Children's Farm. The man was well into his eighties and joked at the welcome: “I missed the sign when entering Montfoort. That was always there. It reads: If antiquity appeals to you, visit the town of Montfoort”. The man was not from Montfoort. But in the 1950s he regularly cycled from Delft, where he lived, to his sister who lived in Utrecht. So you see that a good slogan can apparently linger in a memory for 50, 60 years!’ (© tempasio) Our male half grew up in Vleuten-de Meern (now a part of Utrecht city) and visited Montfoort -only 8 kilometres/5 miles away- on a regular base by bike, together with his father – and perhaps brother and sister, only 1 respectively 2 years younger. Montfoort’s welcome greeting was never forgotten, not by him, too.

(Flour)mill ‘De Valk’, the city moat and remnants of the city wall are all visible on this picture. For more about Montfoort: see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montfoort. Of course a lot more details when reading https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montfoort. (We highly recommend the use of Google Translate.)

When walking opposite the mill in a former orchard, now a park and petting zoo, one sees the apples and pears hanging ready to pick. No-one does, however. (The greengrocer is an easier, though more expensive, solution.)

  • History

    Translation: Montfoort Castle was founded around 1170 by Bishop Godfried van Rhenen. With this he wantéd to protect his territory, Het Sticht (= the town, ed.), against raids from the county of Holland. The (= A. ed) viscount lived in the castle. The viscount served the bishop. Nevertheless, a number of viscounts managed to draw a lot of power to themselves. They were highly regarded. The most important viscounts belonged to the De Rover family. From 1583 the De Merode family owned the castle and viscountcy, but they left the castle uninhabited. The name of the castle Montfoort comes from the Latin Mons Fortis (translated: strong mountain). It was a huge castle with a large tower.

  • Remains

    Part of it was inside the city. Now the provincial road runs right across the grounds of the main castle. Only the gatehouse of the outer bailey was preserved after French soldiers destroyed the castle in 1672. The viscounts had already left Montfoort by then. The castle was sold to the States of Utrecht in 1648. The gatehouse with accompanying buildings has had different functions since then. In 1859 a prison for girls was founded here, later a state reform school for girls. The state educational institution existed here until 1968 in a modified form.’ The picture on the right shows some remnants of past glory. The stone, on top of which the above translated text, is visible on the left.

Another trace of Montfoort’s history: remains of Montfoort castle.

This week’s statistics.

Jay – happily waiting while his master takes pictures.

Engine ran during 4 hours and 42 minutes (delay at locks and bridges included).

Generator: almost 7 hours. We’re no longer connected to shore-power. 

Weather: not very warm (who cares?), sometimes a bit rainy.

Hope to see you next week again!