Amersfoort (VI) (Park on top of former city rampart)
This blog will be about the park, built on top of the former city’s rampart. As showed before, there had been an initial wall around Amersfoort, replaced by a second one because of the city’s expansion. The first picture shows a map of the mid-17th century city. The contours of the old city-wall are clearly visible; similar to the inner moat/canal. The second city wall, together with the ‘new’ moat, is where we are today.
Around the change from the 18th into the 19th century a city wall superannuated. Consequently, a plan to construct a park instead started taking shape. The park was effectively constructed between 1829 and 1843, based upon a design by the well known garden-architects Hendrik van Lunteren (https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hendrik_van_Lunteren) en Jan David Zocher jr. (https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_David_Zocher). The dark green colour depicts the original shape of the park.
A plan of the present city. We are moored, by the way, on the river Eem (‘Eemhaven’) – at 10:30 hours on an imaginary clock. The first and second plan show that the river has been at the same place over the ages – north-west of the city. Between 2000 and 2007 the park was brought back into its former glory, be it that the construction of the Stadsring (‘Ringway’) unfortunately made the demolition of the south-west part necessary. So here’s another example of the sacrifices we are forced to make as a consequence of nowadays traffic.
Another feature are the numbers on the footpath, directing to one of the numerous trees. The numbers correspond with the same number to be found in a booklet. That booklet can be bougt we suppose, downloaded in any case – see http://www.hetgroenehuisamersfoort.nl/sites/default/files/boekje_bomenwandeling.pdf. Recommended, though only in Dutch. By the way 64 is a Quercus Cerris (Moseik/Turkey Oak/Austrian Oak), planted in 1950.
Even the cut-off trees still have their original number. According to the aforementioned booklet this is, correction: was, an Ulmus × Hollandica (Hollandse Iep/Dutch Elm). They are prone to Dutch elm disease (may we ask the Brits: why not just Elm disease???). Wikipedia quote: ‘The name "Dutch elm disease" refers to its identification in 1921 and later in the Netherlands by Dutch phytopathologists Bea Schwarz and Christine Buisman who both worked with Professor Johanna Westerdijk. The disease is not specific to the Dutch elm hybrid.’ Unquote. So please stop this nonsense! This elm might have fallen victim to the Elm disease (without Dutch, see?)
Young(ish) askew plane tree
The trees in the park are not only old most of the time, but plain lovely. We again mention, special for the interested ones among our readers, the link http://www.hetgroenehuisamersfoort.nl/sites/default/files/boekje_bomenwandeling.pdf.
Old rugged plane tree
All planes are in there, with their Latin (scientific?) names as well as their names in Dutch. After reading you’re an expert!
At the south-west side of the town there’s another small part of the park reconstructed. The path here is situated in a round shape – as one can see. Most of the users prefer a short-cut, however, and that’s all too visible here.
...with seven tombstones
The left picture already showed a few graves in the background, seven to be precise. There must have been a graveyard here in the past. We are always interested in gravestones and discovered a highly interesting one as part of these seven.
Meest recente reacties
Dankjewel, Tineke! Tot gauw 😍.
En dan nog even en Amersfoort in zicht
De laatste foto: ongelooflijk!!!!!
Dank je wel, Tineke! We zien mekaar hopelijk snel in A'foort.
Jaja, 't schiet op. Maar rustig aan, want de Nijkerkersluis is nog een paar dagen geblokkeerd. (En een 'Vollenhove' zal ik -als ik er aan toe kom- een n toevoegen...)