This blog will be about the park, built on top of the former city’s rampart. As showed before, there had been an initial wall around Amersfoort, replaced by a second one because of the city’s expansion. The first picture shows a map of the mid-17th century city. The contours of the old city-wall are clearly visible; similar to the inner moat/canal. The second city wall, together with the ‘new’ moat, is where we are today.
Around the change from the 18th into the 19th century a city wall superannuated. Consequently, a plan to construct a park instead started taking shape. The park was effectively constructed between 1829 and 1843, based upon a design by the well known garden-architects Hendrik van Lunteren (https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hendrik_van_Lunteren) en Jan David Zocher jr. (https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_David_Zocher). The dark green colour depicts the original shape of the park.
A plan of the present city. We are moored, by the way, on the river Eem (‘Eemhaven’) – at 10:30 hours on an imaginary clock. The first and second plan show that the river has been at the same place over the ages – north-west of the city. Between 2000 and 2007 the park was brought back into its former glory, be it that the construction of the Stadsring (‘Ringway’) unfortunately made the demolition of the south-west part necessary. So here’s another example of the sacrifices we are forced to make as a consequence of nowadays traffic.